CSM Smith’s Foxhole Report – 6th Edition
CSM Top 3 Topics:
- Protecting our Soldiers and families as we learn to work and train during COVID-19 is imperative. Keys to success:
- Know and enforce COVID-19 risk mitigations standards. Wash your hands, maintain social distance of at least six feet, wear a mask when proper social distance can’t be maintained and don’t come to work if you feel sick.
- Avoid complacency and stay consistent. As leaders it is our responsibility to set and enforce the standards.
- Click here for more information and guidance regarding COVID-19.
2. The FY21 Sergeants Major Course selections process is currently underway. The OML selection board will convene this month.
3. Read the Action Plan to Prioritize People and Teams from Secretary of the Army Ryan D. McCarthy; Gen. James C. McConville, U.S. Army Chief of Staff; and Sergeant Major of the Army Michael A. Grinston.
What Every Soldier & Leader Needs to Know:
Current AGR Career Opportunities:
- MUST READ: Enlisted Promotion Boards 2021
- DA Photo Requirement Changes: Read the Updated Guidance Regarding the DA Photo and Use of Race, Ethnicity, and Gender Ientifying Data in Assignment and Slating Processes and Supporting guidance for removal of photographs from selection board considerations.
- The U.S. Army’s fitness doctrine has been updated! Download the latest version of FM 7-22 here. The new version includes information about holistic health and is an an all-inclusive initiative designed to integrate personnel, equipment, facilities, programming and education to optimize Soldier’s readiness, reduce injury rates, improve rehabilitation after injury, and increase the overall effectiveness of the total Army.
- Visit army.mil/acft for the most up-to-date information on the ACFT, including information on alternate events, COVID-19 updates and ways to train for the test.
- The Army Green Service Uniform is here! Find fitting guidance, ordering information, and locations where the uniform is available for purchase here.
- Flu Shot Guidance: If you’ve received your flu shot this year, obtain and provide documentation to avoid standing in line during your unit’s PHA. Flu shots are available at Walgreens, CVS, Walmart and other locations.
- Class seats will be cut by 50% in FY21. Only send Soldiers who can meet course requirements and meet or exceed course standards required to pass the course. All no-shows and non-completes will require a memo from the Soldier’s unit to the state command sergeant major.
See more AGR and ADOS job opportunities here.
New Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Assignments:
- AGR JOB #04-21, AGR Position: Counterdrug Analyst – E-4/SPC thru E-6/SSG; Unit: Virginia National Guard Counterdrug Task Force; Location: Various Locations (S: 30 SEP 21)
- AGR JOB # 05-21, AGR Position: Senior HR NCO – E-6/SSG -E-7/SFC; MOS: 42A; Unit: Recruiting and Retention BN, Location: Fort Pickett, Blackstone, Virginia (S: 30 NOV 2020)
- AGR JOB # 07-21 AGR, Position: On Campus Recruiter – SSG/E6/ – SFC/E7; MOS: 79T; Unit: Recruiting and Retention BN, Location: Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, VA, and Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA (S: 13 NOV 2020)
- AGR JOB # 01-20 AR SUPPLY SERGEANT (VARIOUS LOCATIONS)
- AGR JOB # 02-20 AR ADMIN NCO (VARIOUS LOCATIONS)
- AGR JOB # 03-20 AR RECRUITING & RETENTION NCO (VARIOUS LOCATIONS) Contact the POC for more information: Mrs. Jennyfer Davis at (804) 236-7833 or firstname.lastname@example.org or D’ Juana Goodwin at (804) 236-7823 or email@example.com.
Current Key NCO Vacancies:
- CSM Coleman: Lateral from 529th CSSB to J3 Operations SGM, Richmond, VA
- CSM Hall: Lateral from 2-224th AVN CSM to Operation SGM MTC, Fort Pickett, VA
Additional Soldier Resources and Guidance
- Delta Co., 229th (MICO) BEB Manassas, VA; Position MOS: 35Z; S: 8 November 2020
- Alpha Co, 1-116th IBCT, Bedford, VA; Position MOS 11Z5M, S: 8 NOV 2020
- Delta Co., 429th BSB, Virginia Beach, VA; Position MOS: 91Z, S: 8 November 2020
- Inspector General NCO, (HSC) 29th ID, Fort Belvoir, VA; (MSG)/ E-8 (S: 1 Sept 2020) POC: is SGM Laronda Williams, DIV G1 SGM at 703 805-4846 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quote of the Month
“The most important thing I learned is that soldiers watch what their leaders do. You can give them classes and lecture them forever, but it is your personal example they will follow.”
– Gen. Colin Powell
SFC Terra C. Gatti, Social Media NCO, Richmond, VA.
SFC Terra Gatti serves as the state social media NCO and is assigned to the Recruiting and Retention Battalion. In that role, she manages the Virginia National Guard’s social media program, provides public affairs guidance, assistance and coverage to units across the state, and acts as the JFHQ Public Affairs NCOIC.
This year, SFC Gatti celebrated 17 years of service in the Virginia National Guard. Earlier this year she attended Master Fitness Class at Fort Benning, Georgia, and in September, SFC Gatti spent three weeks at Fort Meade, Maryland, attending the Senior Leaders Course. There, she was both the Distinguished Honor Graduate, earning the highest academic average in the class, and the Distinguished Leadership Graduate, recognized by her peers as the top leader in her class.
- The Soldier & Family Readiness Program Lead is Teresa A. Merritt (757) 416-2095 email@example.com. Learn more about what the program has to offer here.
- DoD Policy for Wearing of Masks
- Financial Assistance is available from EANGUS/USAA for those impacted by COVID-19. Learn more here.
- Military OneSource: Remember, Military OneSource is available 24/7/365 to help navigate the stress and challenges related to COVID-19 and to provide non-medical counseling and support. Call 800-342-9647 or visit www.MilitaryOneSource.mil to start a live chat (use the speech bubble at the top right of the home page). For additional information regarding Military OneSource, contact Ms. Kaye Larson-Virginia Military OneSource State Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-926-7604.