The Virginia National Guard welcomes the opportunity to connect with our communities to provide a better understanding about the mission and capabilities of the Army and Air National Guard and Virginia Defense Force, but participation in community events has to be balanced with maintaining a high state of readiness for both state and federal missions.
Virginia Army and Air National Guard units lock down their training schedules 90 days in advance, so all requests for participation in community events must be received 120 days before the event is scheduled to take place.
Department of Defense policies require that Armed Forces participation in public events will be provided at no additional cost to the Government.
The following requests CANNOT be supported:
- Fundraising events
- Support for or during sectarian events or on church property when related to a religious activity
- Events that charge an entry fee or are closed to the public
- Events detrimental to the interests or values of the Armed Forces
- Events that directly or indirectly endorse, selectively benefit, or favor any private individual, sect, fraternal organization, political group, commercial venture, or is associated with solicitation of votes in a political election
- Equipment requests or participation that compete with local businesses
- Events that restrict admission, seating and other accommodations or facilities with regard to race, creed, sex, or national origin
The following support can be requested as noted:
Virginia National Guard senior leaders are available to speak about their personal experience of proudly serving in the Virginia National Guard. Speakers from every corner of Virginia can speak on a wide range of subjects such as Virginia National Guard missions, capabilities, diversity, history and organizational culture.
Color Guards and Static Displays
It is important to remember that community relations activities cannot interfere with the performance of official duties and will not interfere with scheduled missions, training or other readiness requirements. Virginia National Guard Soldiers and Airmen have one weekend a month and two weeks of annual training to accomplish all their required training, so color guards and static displays are only available on a very limited basis. We recommend contacting an active duty installation or veterans service organization like the American Legion or VFW for color guard support.
Due to funding restrictions and operational requirements, aircraft flyovers are currently suspended.
29th Division Band
The Troutville-based 29th Division Band is available to provide music for ceremonial events and public performances. They are not permitted to provide entertainment, background, dinner, dance or other social music at public or private events in competition with the customary or regular employment of local civilian musicians.
- Download the DD Form 2536 and provide the information requested on the form. Before submitting, please review the list of activities above that cannot be supported and be sure you request is submitted 120 days in advance.
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allow at least one week for an initial review of the request, and the Virginia National Guard Public Affairs Office will provide a response and update on the review.
- If approved, the request will be submitted to the unit that will take part in the event, and they will coordinate the additional details.
- If the request cannot be supported, you will receive an email notification.
Contact the Virginia National Guard Public Affairs Office by e-mail at email@example.com