Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of my service record?
If you are trying to get a copy of your historical records, DD 214 or NGB 22, please call the Virginia Army National Guard Historical Records Hotline at 434-298-6191. Soldiers currently in the Virginia Army National Guard should contact their unit Readiness NCO for assistance.

How do I get the Virginia National Guard to help us during a hurricane, snowstorm or other state of emergency?
The VNG can’t accept direct requests for assistance, and they must be processed through the Virginia Department of Emergency Management. Please contact VDEM at to request National Guard support.

Someone is trying to sell me a vehicle. Can you confirm if they are in a Virginia National Guard unit scheduled to deploy soon? 
We've received numerous reports of scams in which people who claim to be Virginia National Guard Soldiers or Airmen attempt to sell their car, truck or other vehicle online. While we are unable to confirm the identity of each and every person who claims to be a member of the Virginia National Guard, we remind people to be vigilant and that if something is too good to be true, it probably is. If you have been ripped off, please don’t hesitate to contact your local law enforcement and seek their assistance.

How do I request Virginia National Guard support or participation in a community event?
For information about requesting the Virginia National Guard to set up a static equipment or vehicle display, make use of a Virginia National Guard readiness center, request the 29th Division Band, have a guest speaker at an event, request a color guard or other military support for a community event, visit the Community Relations page.

I'm interested in an Interstate Transfer to the Virginia Army National Guard. Who can I talk to about this?
Please contact the Virginia Army National Guard Interstate Transfer Coordinator. Go to the Contact Us page and choose IST Coordinator from the dropdown menu.

How do I verify someone's employment with the Virginia National Guard?

If you are seeking verification of military service for either the Air or Army National Guard to comply with the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, please visit

If you are seeking records on former civilian or military service members for either the Air or Army National and complete a Standard Form 180 and send to the appropriate address listed on page 3 of the form. These requests for records are not processed by our office.

If you are seeking verification of current employment for either Air or Army National Guard Title 5 employees, please visit