Office of the Inspector General – Things to Avoid
Fraud— Waste— Abuse
Fraud: Any intentional deception designed to deprive the United States unlawfully of something of value or to secure from the United States for an individual benefit, privilege, allowance, or consideration to which he or she is not entitled. Such practices include, but are not limited to:
- The off payment, or acceptance of bribes or gratuities.
- Making false statements.
- Submitting false claims; using false weights or measures.
- Evading or corrupting inspectors or other officials.
- Deceit either by suppressing the truth or misrepresenting material fact.
- Adulterating or substituting materials.
- Falsifying records and books or accounts.
- Arranging for secret profits.
- Kickbacks or commissions.
- Conspiring to use any of the above devices.
- The term also includes conflict of interest cases, criminal irregularities, and the unauthorized disclosure of official information relating to procurement and disposal matters.
Waste: The extravagant, careless, or needless expenditure of Government funds, or the consumption of Government property that results from deficient practices, systems, controls, or decisions. The term also includes improper practices not involving prosecutable fraud.
- Improper/ excessive travel.
- Questionable conferences.
- Improper use of resources/ gov’t vehicles.
- Cellular telephones.
Abuse of Authority
The intentional or improper use of Government resources. Examples include misuse of rank, position, or authority or misuse of resources such as tools, vehicles, or copying machines.
Reprisal Defined: Taking (or threatening to take) an unfavorable personnel action (or threatening to withhold) a favorable personnel action for making (or preparing to make) a protected communication in other words…. You “threw me under the bus” and now I am gonna get you for it…
Reprisal is a violation of Federal Law:
- Having a substantiated Reprisal allegation in the IG database is a sure way to get a “thumbs down” on a promotion centralized board.
- IG, DoD, has oversight of all Service reprisal investigations– Army takes this seriously.
- It has a negative impact on morale and readiness.
- Sexual Misconduct
- Abusive profane language
- Awards, gifts, and “perks”
- Discrimination of any kind
- Improper Personnel Actions
- Examples include…
- Failure to provide due process
- Failure to investigate
- Attempts to influence selection boards
- NCOERs/ OERs
- Failure to take corrective actions.
- Unlawful command influence.
- Improper support of private organizations.