RICHMOND, Va. — Selections for Virginia Army National Guard brigade and battalion commands were made June 19, 2020, by the Adjutant General of Virginia, and June 18 with the release of the results of the annual VaARNG Field Grade Assignment Board.
Maj. Gen. Timothy P. Williams, the Adjutant General of Virginia, announced the following selections for brigade command:
- Col. Charles B. Martin, Jr. will succeed Col. Todd H. Hubbard as the commander of of the Fort Pickett-based 183rd Regiment, Regional Training Institute effective July 19. Hubbard serves as the full-time VNG J3 Joint Operations Officer, and he will fill that role in a traditional National Guard status.
- Col. Christopher J. Samulski will succeed Col. Joseph A. DiNonno as the commander of the Staunton-based 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team effective July 31, 2020. DiNonno will be assigned as the Virginia Army National Guard G5, Director of Strategic Plans and Policy in a traditional National Guard status.
- Lt. Col. Todd A. Pegg will succeed Col. Doyle Gillis, Jr. as the commander of the Virginia Beach-based 329th Regional Support Group effective Aug. 19, 2020. Gillis serves as the full-time VNG G1 State Personnel Officer, and he will fill that role in a traditional National Guard status.
“Please join me in congratulating these outstanding leaders as they head into their new assignments,” Williams wrote in the announcement. “These officers bring a wealth of experience to their positions and I have confidence in their abilities to continue to succeed for the benefit of our organization and the Commonwealth.”
The following selections for battalion command were announced with the Field Grade Assignment Board:
- Lt. Col. Mathew C. Lewis will command the Sandston-based 2nd Battalion, 224th Aviation Regiment, 29th Infantry Division
- Lt. Col. Robert P. Mason will command the Fredericksburg-based 229th Engineer Battalion, 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
- Maj. Brandon C. Lindsey will command the Portsmouth-based 2nd Squadron, 183rd Cavalry Regiment, 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
- Lt. Col. Alyssa Y. Astphan will command the Danville-based 429th Brigade Support Battalion, 116th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
- Lt. Col. David J. Garner will command the Fairfax-based 123rd Cyber Protection Battalion, 91st Cyber Brigade
- Lt. Col. Joshua J. May will command the Fairfax-based 124th Cyber Protection Battalion, 91st Cyber Brigade
- Maj. Scott A. Nivens will command the Fort Pickett-based Virginia Army National Guard Recruiting and Retention Battalion
- Capt. Mark L. Gunn will command the Fort Pickett-based Headquarters Detachment, Joint Force Headquarters – Virginia
- Maj. Jason Simulcik will command the Maneuver Training Center Fort Pickett Headquarters Detachment
Effective dates for the new assignments will based on unit schedules and operational requirements.